Thursday, January 12, 2012

Storage Unit Thursday

It was one of "those" days.  You know, one where you want to do nothing but stay in bed? I was suffering from interview hangover, so I let it go for a while, then the thought of coffee snuck into my brain.

Ah, coffee.  That magical elixir that makes even the dreariest day seem a little bit better.  The perfect pick-me-up.  Low calorie, high energy, oh, so warm and yummy.  I don't know what I would do without you.  Well, you and tea.  Coffee in the morning, tea in the evening, that's the rule.

The SO took the day off work and got a moving truck to try to clear some of the stuff out of the garage.  Instead of getting rid of it though, it just got moved to a storage unit, which is hardly an improvement.  This notion of storage units is ridiculous to me.  What it effectively says is, "I have SO MUCH STUFF, an entire house isn't big enough to contain it." I guess it's a little bit different in our case, as we had to combine three households worth of stuff and we did try very hard to sell all the surplus.  The good thing is that it frees up a lot of space in the garage, which was desperately needed.  It looked like we should have been on an episode of Tidy Hoarders.  Now we'll have room for activities.  Sooooo.........
________________________________________

Crumbles are easy to make and a great use for whatever leftover fruit you have lying around. Well, most fruits – I’m not sure how well a banana crumble would go over. With one of the jars of blackberries in the fridge, I made Blackberry Crumble for Two. I winged it, so I’m certainly not going to guarantee your results, but it’s hard to screw up.

Bung the berries in a bowl and dump in some sugar of your choice (I like Florida Crystals Organic Cane Sugar). Not too much, you don’t want to drown out the flavor of the berries. Add a splash of lemon juice, stir it all up and let it sit for a while, 30 minutes or so.

Take a handful of rolled oats. I actually used a rolled 6-grain cereal blend. Use as much as you think will take to make a nice blanket over your fruit. I like lots of crumble, so I’m a bit heavy on it. Add in some sugar (brown, white, beige, whatever you have), cinnamon and some flaked almonds if you have them. I had a bag of ground almonds in the freezer, so I used some of that. Plop in a wad of butter, or fat of your choice. I guess you could use a little oil if you didn’t have any buttery-type stuff. Don’t use too much, you don’t want it to be greasy. Rub it all in with your fingers until the mix is homogenous.
 

Somewhere in there you should have turned on your oven to 350°.

Dispatch your fruit to an oven-proof container. Stick it in and let it go by itself for about 10 or 15 minutes. Take it out and sprinkle your topping on – back into the oven for another 10-15-20 – keep checking to make sure it’s not getting too brown on top. When it’s to your liking, take it out and let it cool a little (or a lot). Serve with whatever accompaniment you have; cream, spray cream, ice cream, yogurt. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment