Friday, January 13, 2012

Food Truck Friday


I’ve jumped on the Food Truck bandwagon, and I’m holding on for dear life.  I’m not quite sure what the appeal is.  Maybe it’s the limited menus, or the brightly colored trucks, or the idea that you can be driving somewhere and all of a sudden come across a gem of an eatery that wasn’t there yesterday and may not be there tomorrow.  I admit there’s a bit of an adrenaline rush, too … I desperately needed a cupcake yesterday, and Red Jett Sweets (www.redjettsweets.com) just happened to be close to the SO’s work and we needed to drop off the moving truck.  BUT – they were only going to be there for 30 more minutes and I needed it and where was it and Google the address and dodge the traffic and that damn stoplight and WHY ARE YOU DRIVING SO SLOWLY?? and WHEW!!!!!  Made it.  Oh, my God, I thought I was going to go down in flames in search of a cupcake.   

This particular food truck has celebrity status;  they were featured on Cupcake Wars and even though they didn’t make it to the end, they gave it the ol’ college try and did us Metroplexians proud.  I had the Glinda's Peppermint Cloud cupcake and obviously Florian and Sprinkles Lady don’t know what they’re talking about because mine was FABOO.  The peppermint buttercream frosting tasted just like the mints I used to make years ago for weddings; it was creamy and pepperminty and just perfectly sweet. I bought the SO the Red Velvet and it sounded like a pack of hyenas tearing into a zebra carcass.  Didn't dare get my hand too close. 


Last week the SO and I ventured out to the Fort Worth Food Park (www.fwfoodpark.com).  Apparently there are a lot of restrictions on "Mobile Food Vendors" in Fort Worth, but they've created this place where the food trucks can nest at night and ply their wares in a semi-organized fashion.  It's a weird location, I have to say - in the middle of an industrial complex just north of downtown - but it sure was hopping last Saturday night. There's a rotating selection of trucks and everything we had was very good.  I have to give special props to Good Karma Kitchen (www.thegoodkarmakitchen.com) for their vegetarian chili … it was insanely delicious and really hit the spot on a chilly night.  The SO had a grilled cheese and bacon sandwich from The Bacon Wagon. I had a bite of the bit without any bacon and I would go back and get that again whenever I was not caring about my calorie intake.  The goat cheese in it was a nice change of pace and melded well with the cheddar.  

We also sampled the tacos from So-Cal Tacos.  I had a fish taco, and it was fine, nothing special.  I think I should have tried the Chipotle Salmon one...that probably should have been the way to go.  However, the SO really enjoyed his Al Pastor, and, after living in Mexico City, this man knows his tacos.  We're on a perpetual hunt for the Best Taco.  It's hard work, but someone's gotta sacrifice.

Probably going to hunt down the food trucks again tonight.  I'll make sure I bring my camera this time!

No comments:

Post a Comment