Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Interview Wednesday

Ugh.

I had my interview today, and for the most part it was great.  They asked good questions, and I gave good answers. Made 'em laugh, which I think is a plus.  I was charming and articulate and for once, I smelled good as I figured it would be a good occasion for a shower. I was punctual, insightful, enthusiastic.  A model employee, actually.

Then came The Test.

There was a 2-part practical exam to this interview; part one involved recreating a double sided flyer and part two, manipulating a Photoshop image, both of which I can do in my sleep.  However, I can't do it in 45 minutes, with no ruler, no scanner and having to recreate a logo from scratch.  I felt so stupid - here I am extolling my virtues and telling them how great and capable I am, AND I CAN'T EVEN COMPLETE THIS SIMPLE TEST. I felt like I was on Chopped for Graphic Artists.  "Go ahead and open your basket.  Inside you will find, a flyer, and …what's that in the corner of the basket?  Oh yeah … NOTHING."  My pantry was empty of scanner, ruler, loupe, time. "Five, four, three, two…one.  Time's up. Artist, step away."

I did the best I could - I wanted it to be perfect.  I can only hope the rest of the interview will carry me.  The final beating was when I checked my email in the car.  Yet another rejection letter.  I think I want to cry.

___________________________________

So, I finally finished a project I've been working on sporadically for the past few weeks. I decided, since it's hard for me to find pants and skirts to fit, that I would make my own.  I've sewn quite a bit in the past, but I've never made really tailored things and I've certainly never started out by making my own pattern.

The whole pattern-making process is very interesting to me.  It combines the precise, technical stuff I like with unlimited creativity.  I was very surprised it worked.  I can actually wear this!  It makes me want to branch out into other aspects of fashion design.  Like I need any more projects.

I used some wool purchased in Scotland in 1985.  I was going to make a kilt from it (it's our family's tartan), but it just got forgotten in the back of a closet.  I had to cut around some moth holes, but other than that, it's fine.  I made the initial pattern from taped-together graph paper, and made a proof from muslin.  The final item is lined in red, and is quite startling. I've got a couple of hand-finishing things to do, but other than that, it's done.  Now, if only I had a new job to which to wear it....

1 comment:

  1. Let us know how the interview went. Maybe the "test" was to see more how you perform under pressure and impossible circumstances. . .

    ReplyDelete